Different Kinds of Grants for Single Mothers
What type of Grants for Single mothers available?
Usually there are some government and non-government grants for single mothers to go to school or start a business or housing aid or child care entitlements etc. Many of the women around the world are taking care of their children singly due to various reasons. Mostly the women who got divorced after the birth of two or three children or those women whose husbands have been died and they got children with them have to take care of all the basic necessities of life for their children single handed. These mothers really deserved for the grants for single mothers that have been given by the government or some non government organizations as well as some private organization to survive in life in a better way.
The governments of many countries of the world have announced such grant for mom every year and they keep a specific portion of amount in its financial budget of the country in the head of grants for single mothers. Such kinds of grants have been given to the single moms without having the condition to pay the same back that is why the word grant is being used for this. It means it is not a loan like the other banks or private loans which have to pay back if taken by someone along with agreed mark up. There are many kinds of grant that could be given to the single mom for the purpose of living their life as well as taking care of their children properly.
The government single mother grant has been given with a prospective to settle a single mom in a way so that she may not need the same in next year. In other words we can say that this kind of grant for mom has been given for the purpose of running a small business so that they can earn sufficient money through the said business for spending the same on the education and medical care of herself along with her children.
On the other hand some non government organizations also facilitate to give the grant for single mom for educational purposes only. The modus operandi of these NGOs is to find out the deserving single moms of their area and to facilitate them by meeting all the educational expenses of their children. Thus such grants for single mothers relaxes her up to some extent because she do not have to bear the expensed incurred on the education of her children at least. In the same why some private organizations also offered such kind of grants for single mothers for the purpose of giving the medical facility to their children after proper verification of being deserved.
Government Grants for Single mothers:
Pell grants for single mothers to go to college:
- Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education Grant (TEACH Grant): Grant for teacher if you are interested in teaching kids from low income family.Details here: http://studentaid.ed.gov/PORTALSWebApp/students/english/TEACH.jsp
- Academic Competitiveness Grant: http://studentaid.ed.gov/PORTALSWebApp/students/english/AcademicGrants.jsp?tab=funding
- Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG): http://studentaid.ed.gov/PORTALSWebApp/students/english/FSEOG.jsp?tab=funding
- Institutional Grants:http://studentaid.ed.gov/PORTALSWebApp/students/english/InstitutionalGrant.jsp?tab=funding
- Federal Pell Grant: Federal pell grants for single mothers to go to college
- The Sister Fund: http://www.sisterfund.org/process/granting-guidelines
- Margaret McNamara Memorial Fund (MMMF): http://go.worldbank.org/OG5TNL5BA0
Housing Grants for single mothers:
There are several housing grants for single mothers. My personal preferences are -
- Mercy housing [affordable rental , non profit and non government organization]: Mercy Housing is a national nonprofit organization that developed, financed and operates affordable, program-enriched housing communities for families, seniors and people with special needs who lack the economic resources to access quality, safe housing opportunities. Details here:https://www.mercyhousing.org/Page.aspx?pid=183
- U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD):http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/program_offices/public_indian_housing/programs/hcv/about/fact_sheet and http://www.hud.gov/local/index.cfm and http://www.hud.gov/offices/pih/programs/hcv/homeownership/index.cfm
- USDA – Rural Development / Housing & Community Facilities Programs (HCFP):Specially for rural Americans. Details: http://www.rurdev.usda.gov/rhs/common/indiv_intro.htm
- U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development – Renting: Details here: http://www.hud.gov/renting/index.cfm#assistance
- Housing Finance Agencies: Details here http://www.ncsha.org/housing-help
- Homeless Assistance: http://www.ncsha.org/category/advocacy-issues/homeless-assistance
- Supportive Housing Works to End Homelessness: http://www.csh.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=Page.viewPage&pageID=344
- Bridge of Hope: http://www.bridgeofhopeinc.org/template/page.cfm?id=96
- Bridge of Hope National: http://www.bridgeofhopeinc.org/
- Salvation Army USA: Part of international evangelical christian church http://www.salvationarmyusa.org/
- Catholic Charities USA: http://www.catholiccharitiesusa.org/
- Society of Saint Vincent de Paul: http://www.svdpusa.org/
- Florence Crittenton Services, Charlotte, NC: http://www.fcsnc.org/
- Our Families Our Future – Cheyenne, WY: http://www.ourfamiliesourfuture.org/
- Vision House: email them at firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Nurturing Network (TNN): http://www.nurturingnetwork.org/needhelp.html
- Fellowship Housing—Hoffman Estates, IL: Fellowship Housing Corporation 2060 Stonington Ave. Suite 200, Hoffman Estates, IL 60169 Phone: (847) 882-2511 x2122, Fax: (847) 882-3288
- CoAbode – Single Mothers House Sharing: http://www.coadobe.org/
- Community Action Partnership, Sonoma County, CA – Programs Giffen House:
- Chanate Women’s Emergency Shelter: http://www.capsonoma.org
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP): http://www.govbenefits.gov/govbenefits_en.portal?_pageLabel=gbcc_page_press_room&_nfpb=true&pressRoom_2_actionOverride=%2FPressRoomFlow%2Freport&_windowLabel=pressRoom_2&pressRoom_2bid=623&_pageLabel=gbcc_page_press_room&print=true
Small business grants for single mothers:
As a single mother, if you are planning to start small business but in doubt of the finances and investments, grants are the best solution for this. There are various private and government grants for single mothers to start their small business. Applying for small business grant may seem as a big battle to be won. Starting a small business can be a great help for single mothers to support their family. The objective of grants is to up rise single mothers from the difficulties they might face in settling a small business.
Grants are preferred as they are the best finical aid which single mothers can get as they do not have to be paid back. There are many grant opportunities available. The information about these grants is easily available online. When you are researching for the grants beware of the scams. If you find any organization demanding for the fee along with application, it’s better not to apply for these organizations. The genuine grant organization will never have criterion of application fee.
Basically private, Federal government and state government organizations are involved in providing small business grants for single mothers. These grants are awarded on the basis of your business proposal and plan. If you are finding difficulty in whole process of applying for grants or you are unsure how the whole system works, better would be to join Small Business Administration (SBA) program. The program is free of cost and will help in preparing your business plan, will give trainings, and will help you in grant funding. You can register and find more details about SBA on http://www.sba.gov/content/economic-development-agencies.
Here is an online directory -> economic development directory that will help you to find local agency in USA and outside USA too.
Federal Program: Basically two government forms are involved in federal program. One is National Science Foundation which provides grants for single mothers who are involved in software related small business. The other is Department of Justice which grants commission to mothers working with justice to antisocial organizations. You can easily find these funding organizations on http://www.grants.gov/applicants/find_grant_opportunities.jsp.
State Government Funding: There are many grant programs available in each state. You can use the following link: small business grants for single mothers for finding grants in your state. You also need to research on http://www.sba.gov/content/economic-development-agencies for state by state resources which are available for single mothers. Federal funding is somewhat difficult to find as compare to the state funding for single mothers starting small business.
The Foundation Centre maintains the database of the US grant funders and the grant they offer. They also have database of the programs which are specifically designed for women seeking grants. You can research more about their resources on the link http://fconline.foundationcenter.org/.
Opportunity fund is a california based nonprofit organization which mainly offer micro loan, micro finance and grant for eligible small business and real estate startups in San Francisco Bay area mainly, here is the details: http://www.opportunityfund.org/startup
Amber grants is women only small business grants operating from 1998 helping with grants ranging from $1001 to $5001. You can see the details here http://www.womensnet.net/AmberGrants.aspx
Once you find a grant, you should carefully and sensibly follow the grant application process. Make sure you have proofread all the information you have provided in the application. As the competition is very hard, you need to give a strong reason why you deserve the grant for running small business as a single mother. If you are not able to write this, better would be to hire someone for writing as this is the most important task towards attainment of grant.
We hope you have got enough resources for grants for single mothers. If you have any more queries or searching grants for single mothers in special condition, please ask us commenting to this post.